Innovative Leaders Speaker Series:
A Public Health Application of 'A3' Lean Management Principles
with Dr. Tom Jackson
Thursday, June 6, 2013
8:00am - 12:00pm
1:00 - 5:00pm
UC Berkeley Alumni House, Berkeley, CA
This performance improvement workshop with Dr. Tom Jackson explored the effective A3 Lean Management Tool (A3) in a public health application, though other industries were welcome to attend. In healthcare, the A3 Lean Management Tool can play a pivotal role in addressing the pressing problems of high cost and poor quality.
The A3 is a large-format, one-page report that summarizes an agreement between a manager and his or her superior to improve a value stream or process to meet organizational objectives. A typical A3 contains:
- a succinct description of a problem or opportunity
- focused improvement targets
- a causal analysis of the problem
- a proposed action
- an action plan
The one-page format of the A3 encourages:
- clarity of thinking and presentation
- improvement of communication both vertically (up and down the chain of command) and horizontally (between cooperating service lines, departments or external organizations)
In this session, the second in the new Innovative Leaders Speaker Series, Dr. Jackson helped participants:
- understand how to manage change and develop leaders with the A3 team charter
- understand how the scientific method defines A3 thinking
- apply A3 thinking by developing an A3 team charter based upon a case study of a large integrated medical center
8:00am - 8:30am: Registration / Material Distribution / Work-group Formation
8:30am - 11:30am: Dr. Tom Jackson
11:30am - 12:00pm: Group Discussions / Networking with light refreshments
1:00pm - 1:30pm: Registration / Material Distribution / Work-group Formation
1:30pm - 4:30pm: Dr. Tom Jackson
4:30pm - 5:00pm: Group Discussions / Networking with light refreshments
*Both workshops are identical in content.
Thursday, June 6, 2013, 8:00am - 12:00pm OR 1:00pm - 5:00pm
All talks in this new Series are open to public health and health care professionals, faculty, staff and students.
UC Berkeley Alumni House, located on the south side of the UC Berkeley Campus. Please click here for parking information and directions.
$65 per person.
Currently a partner at Rona Consulting Group, Tom Jackson has over 16 years of experience in consulting for global companies in a very wide variety of manufacturing and service industries that implement the Toyota Management System. He designed major lean certification programs for Ford, Whirlpool, Emerson, adidas, Air Products and Chemicals, and the Ohio State University. Tom's book, Hoshin Kanri for the Lean Enterprise, was honored with a Shingo Prize for Excellence in Research. Tom is the editor of the Lean Tools for Healthcare Series from Productivity Press.